Saturday, February 7, 2009

How Barbie Began
In 1938 Mattel was formed by two life long friends, Harold Matson and Elliot Handler.  When Mattel was originally formed, they were not a toy maker.  Mattel began as a picture frame manufacturer.  Later, they began to make doll furniture.
Elliot Handler was married and had a daughter Barbara that enjoyed playing with adult dolls, but there were no dolls like that on the market.  On a visit to Europe, Mrs. Handler found a German doll named "Lilli" in a store.  When Mrs. Handler returned back home, Lilli was a hit with Barbara.  That gave Mattel an idea.  They bought the marketing rights to Lilli, and changed her name to Barbie, named after their daughter Barbara.  Barbie was introduced to the world at the New York International Toy Fair in March, 1959.  Actually, March 9, 1959 is Barbie's official birthdate.




No comments:

Post a Comment

     As I look back on the past year, I am extremely  grateful for our blessings.   Dispite the confusion and state of our country, I have thought about all the little miracles that are happening all around us, and with extended family. I continue to believe in a Heavenly Father who loves us, and hears and answers prayers.  
    I want to thank my family for all the joy they bring into our home.  For my grandchildren who are my angels that brighten my day when I think I'm falling off my rocker!     This family picture makes me laugh.  How often do we laugh out loud or just make a fool of ourselves?  Not often enough!  I have an incredible husband, that when life does a U-turn on him, he still plugs along with a positive attitude and with greater determination to press forward.   
     I love the Temple, and the peace and comfort we receive, and the blessings that have come to us for just striving to do the right stuff.  And referring  to the picture again,  apparently Ryan took a potty break, or just trying to get the attention he obviously needs.   :)
     Thanks to all who have made me laugh, and have helped strengthened some of my weaknesses this past year.  Hoping the new year will bring you comfort and JOY!